The job landscape is constantly changing, with both employees wanting different things from their environment and employers expressing different skills they need and are missing. We regularly challenge the perception of administrative staff and how their roles contribute to wider business objectives, because the role is constantly diversifying.
Robert Half has published their 2018 salary guide, which states that the demand for administrative and office support staff is rising in line with business growth plans. Their report goes on to say “Organisations are seeking candidates with sector/industry experience and systems knowledge, who can provide specialist support and add value. Candidates with a demonstrable ability to do this are not on the market for long; especially true for mid-level specialist professionals, who are the most in demand”.
The other key findings they outlined in the report included:
- The past 12 months have seen professionals within administration and office support seek more development opportunities.
- Flexible working hours being sought from skilled professionals prior to accepting a job offer.
- Where potential is seen, administrative professionals indicate they are willing to take on a longer commute.
- Permanent, professional-level employees are expected to see a salary increase in the next 12 months.
- The top five administrative roles in demand are: Customer services, Executive/Personal assistance, Project administrative support, general administration & office support and HR analytics.
- Salary changes from 2017-2017 across different areas (Senior support, Office support, Secretarial, Human Resources and Procurement, Marketing and Business Development and Customer Services) have seen salary increases between 0.6%-3.7%.
The full report can be accessed via the Robert Half Website.